Your Dog participates in the exhibition
If you have never exhibited your pet in the ring, then this article is for you, in which you will find for yourself the simplest and most important tips.
You have a desire and you are ready to participate in the exhibition in order to show your Yorkshire terrier, learn the opinion of experts and undoubtedly find new friends among fans of this wonderful breed. And this is the right decision, even because a lot of positive and unforgettable emotions will surely accompany you after the end of the exhibition, it’s like a “little holiday”.
At the show, the Yorkshire Terrier will be evaluated according to the breed standard, and this is done in comparison with other dogs.
The best way to learn and gain practical skills in the ring is to visit dog shows and observe everything that happens, which will also give you a clearer understanding of participation, training, refereeing, and participants.
The clubs can offer you professional handlers whom you can hire to show your dog, and you can relax and enjoy viewing the show. Before you participate in the exhibition, read the official rules for the participation of your dog club. Carefully read and do not neglect the instructions. Understand that since you are new to the show-ring, this does not mean that you will be forgiven for breaking the rules.
Before you visit the exhibition, well prepare the dog for the exhibition. If you have doubts about the future prospects of your Yorkshire terrier, consult a dog handler at the club or those who actively participate in exhibitions and show their Yorkies.
The first step on the way to the exhibition
You should have a pedigree and a certain amount of money with you, as a voluntary contribution to participate in the exhibition 🙂 .. Depending on the age of your York, you define for yourself the class in which you will perform. There are seven classes for display in the ring.
- Baby class. In this class, participants are registered, at the age of 3 to 6 months.
- Class “puppies”. Age from 6 to 9 months.
- Class “juniors”. Age from 9 to 18 months.
- Class “intermediate”. In this class, dogs participate from 15 to 24 months.
- Class “open”. Dogs compete from 15 months and up.
- Class “champions” Register with 15 months and above.
- Class “veterans” Participate dogs over the age of 8 years.
Having defined and filled out an application, having paid, you have become a potential participant in the festive day called the dog show.
At the show, the judges will review each dog, and then present awards to those closest to the official breed standards. In the ring, the expert conducts a general inspection of all participants and each dog individually on the table, while giving a detailed description of all the qualities of your pet.
The judge looks not only at the external qualities, anatomy but also at the movements and temperament of your York, checking the dog, feeling it in order to make sure that the teeth, the backbone, and the wool met the standard.
How to train Yorkshire terrier before the show?
- And in order to be ready for the future “bride”, you need to diversify your pet. Spend more time for walks, so that she is not afraid and accustomed to her surroundings.
- Walk-in public places more often and if passersby pay attention to your handsome or beautiful woman and want to pet the baby, let them, it will help the dog not to be afraid of someone else’s hands. Then teach your Yorkie to run “trot” (thin leash) on the left side of the host, at the same time, the movements should be light, free and vigorous.
- Keep your head up. The whole training and walking process should take place in the form of a game, encourage the dog, praise and maintain a pace so that the dog does not go to a gallop. After a walk with a “training tone”, encourage York with your favorite delicacy. Everything will turn out, the main thing is constancy and patience.
- When moving, stop the dog and teach to the rack. The culmination of the training process will be if the Yorkshire terrier stops after the movements, he will take the right position, the exhibition stand, and the owner only supports his head for the leash and then, if necessary, straighten the dog.
- At the exhibition, at your request, this tiny pet should be exactly with the slightly hind legs left behind, and with the head up and in that position should be some time when the judge will examine or compare with other participants of the competition.
- The next touch, – teach your baby to the fact that he will look at his teeth. Open more often the mouth, to give him the opportunity to get used to the unpleasant, but necessary for him the procedure. He should not snap and fear the touch of other hands, in this case, the hands of the judge
A little bit about beauty
- Of course, a beautiful role in the appearance of the Yorkshire terrier is played by a beautiful, silk wool that falls smoothly on both sides. Therefore, if you want to grow beautiful wool for the future champion, you need to put a lot of effort into this!
- The one who at least once saw packed York in paper curlers wondered with a feeling of pity, but why mock at the poor animals like that? Heard, or did they say such words? And the answer received did not soothe you at all, but on the contrary, the feeling of pity for the little dog wakes up even more!
- Papilotki and so-called those paper curlers and there is no other option to save wool! So are the weekdays of the Yorkshire Terrier show, until the owner decides to mow it.
- If you do not spin the wool, it will break, taking the form of uneven hanging “icicles”. The second problem is connected with the shading of the wool when the hair is tangled and because of the impossibility of combing, the mats are cut off, and this does not contribute to the preservation of wool.
Why I am so fixated on this wool, you ask, but because in the ring the first thing that catches your eye is wool, its length, quality, brilliance, grooming, and this figure significantly affects the overall assessment. I am sure that hair packaging seems like a strange thing, but believe me, thanks to this, you save and grow beautiful wool and this is an extremely necessary procedure in order to put your beloved pet in the ring.
At first glance, it seems that papillote impedes the movement of York, but with the correct distribution of wool on strands of problems does not arise.
How to use papillote?
- Papillote is worn on a purely washed oiled dog or special conditioner dog’s fur.
- The oil is applied to the hair strand, the comb is distributed over the entire length, and only then we twist the strand on rice paper or papyrus paper.
- Ideal for this purpose is rice paper, specially selected for its qualities and properties for working with long hair of the Yorkshire terrier.
- If you are unable to purchase one, or if the price is too high, then use ordinary papyrus paper, which can well replace rice paper.
- It can be of different structure and when choosing, pay attention so that it is not thin and not dense, it has a slightly rough surface and does not have the quality of oilcloth to allow the hair to “breathe”.
- Twisting papillote, while combing strands, it is necessary once every two-three days.
- Before the exhibition should buy a dog, do all the hygiene procedures. Check your dog for insect parasites. Tidy up the claws: if necessary, trim the edges or just trim the file. Pay attention to the eyes, if there is inflammation of the eyelids, conjunctivitis, take care of this in advance.
- If your york’s teeth are in order, it will be enough to clean them before the exhibition with a special toothpaste. Dental stones must be removed in advance, otherwise, the dog may have painful sensations, and it will resist examination of the teeth. Ears need to be cleaned.
- My advice to you, if possible, contact the groomer (hairdresser) to bring your dog in order by making her show hairstyle and you had more time to focus your attention on other issues related to the show.
Some owners do not specifically feed their dogs before the show, but not all Yorkies can handle it, so it’s best to give some food.
We advise you to prepare in advance everything you need to take with you to the exhibition, this will help you to avoid the unnecessary fuss.
Must have during the show
- veterinary passport, payment receipt;
- wool care items, brush, and comb;
- thin show leash for the ring; a small table, a chair where you can fit;
- paper napkins in order to wipe the dog’s face, remove dirt;
- a bottle of drinking water, a bowl, a package with a treat for York.
- At the exhibition, do not leave your York unattended. Even a very obedient dog can leave its place, for the first time in a noisy environment.
The organizers divide the general hall into small sections, which are called rings and on the first pages of the catalog, the layout of these rings is indicated, then the schedule of participation for dog breeds is printed. Having specified according to the catalog, in what ring and at what time the
Yorkshire terriers will be judged, you can stay in the place convenient for you, waiting for the opening of the exhibition. The opening ceremony does not last long, they represent the judging panel, congratulate and wish all the participants of this exhibition to win.
When the turn of the Yorkshire Terrier breed came up, the smallest ones go first into the “fight”, the “baby” class boys, then the girls go. The next class is “puppies”, hereinafter referred to as “juniors”, “intermediate”, ”open”, “champions” and the class “veterans”. Bitches and males compete separately. In each class is determined by the winner.
The best junior, best bitch and best dog compete for the best representative of the breed. After the end of the ring, the best representatives of all breeds compete in the competition for the best dog at the exhibition. This is a brief description of the structure of the exhibition.
Participation in the exhibition will help you gain experience and become a “small” expert, learn to distinguish between the advantages and disadvantages of the breed.