Lie down -is one of the basic training teams that is often used in everyday life. It can be useful in public transport, or at the vet. When participating in various shows and exhibitions, this skill is also mandatory in the program of performances.
If you have a puppy, then training is recommended to begin at the earliest possible age (after 3 months), which will be convenient for both the pet and its owner. This recommendation applies not only to this but also to other orders (“place”, “sit”, “stay”). Before start training, the pupil must understand who his owner is. It will be a person who from the first day constantly deals with him:
- take him out for a walk.
As a result of successful training, the dog should how to move. For representatives of decorative breeds, experts recommend mastering the lying position only after the animal learns to execute order “sit”.
- The main principle of training is systematic and consistent.
- To educate an animal yourself, you need to know the basic methods and rules, as well as possible errors.
- Experts recommend watching videos of professional cynologists available on the web.
- Doing training should be in a quiet place, where there will be no distractions in the form of extraneous sounds and other animals.
- You should also choose a clean place since it will be unpleasant for the beast to lay down on the dirty, cold ground.
- If you practice only at home, there is a risk that the dog will listen to the owner only within the house, and on the street turn into an uncontrollable creature.
- Training should be carried out correctly from the very beginning
- In order not to churn the dog in the process of training, you should not use other orders at the same time, because at the end dog will perform them only in such a sequence and will move to a lying position only after a preliminary sitting position.
- It is important not to allow to get up before the permission of the owner, so as not to violate the main purpose of training – discipline.
What do you need for fast training
As well as other activities, you must have a certain set of devices. Despite the fact that it is quite simple-minded and standard, it should also be mentioned.
For training you will need:
- collar – a mandatory element that allows you to control the dog and serves as a symbolic attribute of power;
- a leash – will be needed not only in the learning process but also during the movement to the place of employment;
- delicacy is the most favorite food (crackers, pieces of meat or cheese, dry food), but it is important to take into account that a well-fed animal can remain indifferent even to a demanded treat in other situations;
- A positive attitude is one of the important conditions, since animals are very sensitive to a person’s mood and good results can be achieved only when the pet feels the support of the owner, and they receive mutual pleasure from the training process.
Using a traditional combination of encouragement and a good attitude allows you to successfully accustom the dog to the “Lie down” team.
The following method is used for this:
- Take the right position when the owner is in a confident position with a leash in his hands, and the animal is in front of him, on the left side.
- Clearly say: “Lie down”, slightly tighten the leash and show a treat (you can bring it to the nose). After the pet becomes interested in him, smoothly move the arm forward and down, forcing the dog to drag on.
- All this time you need to keep the dog with a leash. He should stay in place and gradually lower his hand, taking a lying position.
- After the dog has completely laid down, pressing with his left hand on his withers (to prevent attempts to rise), encourage him with words (for example, “Good”) and treat.
- If the animal jumps up before submitting the treat, give an order and lay it again.
- The dog is kept in the supine position initially about 5 seconds
- You should repeat the exercise several times in a row with short breaks (2-3 minutes)
- You can also use the option without first submitting a treat when the left hand is placed on the withers of the animal, and the right hand is put under the front paws.
- After giving orders, simultaneously press the withers and move the front paws forward.
- When the pupil lays down, you need to praise him, give him a tasty piece, and then release him with the appropriate order.
- It is important to ensure that the animal initially takes the correct position, in which the front legs, the croup, and the body are pulled forward and in line, and the rear legs are picked up.
- Filling up the croup on the side is a sign of an incorrect exercise.
How much time do you need?
In most cases, after just a few lessons, the dog will have the initial skills of executing the command without additional pressure on the withers. After that, you can increase the time between making and issuing a treat, and then introduce an additional gesture.
In the process of learning gesture recognition, you should gradually increase the distance and time of exposure. So, for an eight-month puppy, the standard provides for the execution of an order from the first feed at a distance of 15 meters for 15 seconds.
When training at a long distance, it is not necessary to release the pet with the order “Walk” from a distance. It is necessary to approach him, praise and stroke, and only after that let him go to rest.
Additional tips In the process of training
- in order to “lie down” you should say it after the dog has taken a lying position;
- if the pet gets up without permission, you must return it to the desired position and repeat: “Lie down!”;
- do not immediately require long exposure; do not start classes on the wet or dirty ground;
- you need to repeat the task once, otherwise, the dog will perform it only after repeating two (or more) times;
- not “part” with different orders, requiring them to be executed in turn every 10-15 seconds; it is better to pay attention to their clear and correct execution.
- “Walk”, and order “To me”, the dog should understand the difference between orders.
A common mistake is an attempt to teach a dog to several teams at the same time. It is impossible to focus on those who have easily succeeded in this and, especially, to insult and shame the dog, citing as an example the more “intelligent” pets of their acquaintances.